Wishing your lax skin looked as smooth, firm, and lifted as it did years ago? You’re not alone. Whether as a result of ageing, weight loss, or other changes to our bodies, many of us struggle with some amount of skin laxity at some point in our lives. Fortunately, there are more nonsurgical skin tightening treatments than ever available right here at my Calgary medispa.
You have many options for restoring your skin nonsurgically, from lasers to microneedling to “vampire” lifts. In this blog post, I’ll discuss how these treatments work, which one may be right for you, and what you need to know before scheduling your appointment.
Why Does Skin Sag as We Age?
Collagen and elastin are the proteins responsible for keeping our skin strong, firm, and elastic. When we’re young, our skin has plenty of these proteins and can easily resist the downward pull of gravity.
As we age, however, the production of these proteins decreases—some estimates say by about 1% every year starting in our 20s. Without that extra collagen and elastin, we develop fine lines, drooping facial skin, jowls, folds, and overall laxity. Some factors such as dramatic weight loss or sun damage may exaggerate these effects.
How Can I Tighten My Skin Without Surgery?
Surgeries such as facelifts and tummy tucks have long been the go-to approach for tightening skin on the face and body. But those involve anesthesia, incisions, and surgical risks, all of which most people prefer to avoid if they can.
Fortunately, innovations in cosmetic treatments have made it possible to rejuvenate the skin nonsurgically. Most of these treatments focus on stimulating collagen and elastin production to firm and tighten skin. They do this in several ways, including heating the deeper layers of your skin and creating tiny injuries on its surface to jumpstart your body’s natural regenerative response.
What Is the Best Nonsurgical Skin Tightening Treatment?
The best treatment for you depends on the area you’re looking to treat, the amount of correction you would like to achieve, and other factors. Let’s take a look at a few of the most popular and effective options available today.
TempSure Envi is a radiofrequency (RF) skin tightening device that stimulates collagen production by heating your skin’s deeper layers.
- Best for: Crepey eyelids, forehead sagging, lip lines or folds, jawline laxity
- Discomfort: Little to no discomfort
- Recovery: Little to no downtime, other than slightly warm skin and mild swelling for 1 to 2 days
- Longevity: Results are noticeable in 3 to 6 months and last for 6 to 12 months
Sciton® Joule™ Erbium Laser Skin Resurfacing
The Sciton Joule laser heats dermal tissues and stimulates your body’s healing response, creating a new foundation of collagen.
- Best for: Firming sagging or loose skin on the face, neck, and body
- Discomfort: Deeper treatments may require topical or local anesthesia
- Recovery: Varies depending on the depth of your treatment
- Longevity: Lasts for about a year
Plasma Therapy (“Vampire Facelift”)
Plasma Therapy is full of your body’s growth factors and healing properties. When drawn from your blood, concentrated, and injected back into your skin, this substance restores your skin’s surface and heals its deeper layers. Many people choose to combine this with wrinkle-reducing neurotoxins or laser resurfacing for enhanced smoothing.
- Best for: Facial creases, crepey areas, and areas of sagging due to lost volume
- Discomfort: Small needle pokes as your blood is drawn and the plasma therapy is injected
- Recovery: Mild redness and swelling for a 1 to 2 days
- Longevity: Lasts 9 to 18 months
Check out this related blog post to learn more about how plasma therapy works and what to expect.
During microneedling treatments, tiny needles create micro-injuries in your skin’s surface, spurring on your body’s healing response and inducing collagen production. This treatment is optimally combined with plasma therapy for maximum affect.
- Best for: Subtle skin laxity, especially around the jawline
- Discomfort: Minor discomfort managed by a topical anesthetic
- Downtime: Mild redness and swelling for a day or 2
- Longevity: Lasts about a year
Chemical peels use peeling solutions to remove outer layers of dead or damaged skin cells. Some formulations also stimulate a small amount of collagen production for ongoing skin firming.
- Best for: Mild laxity, crepey texture, and fine lines
- Discomfort: Varies depending on the depth of the peel
- Recovery: Varies depending on the depth of the peel
- Longevity: May last anywhere from 2 months to a year
Enhancing Your Skin Tightening Results With Medical-Grade Skincare Products
Once you have achieved your best results, you can maintain or even enhance them with the right skincare products. Brands such as SkinMedica® and ZO Medical® feature physician-tested products designed to hydrate your skin, encourage healthy cell turnover, and keep signs of ageing at bay.
The most important part of preserving your youthful new look? Preventing sun damage with sunscreen. To block a few extra UVA and UVB rays, try incorporating SPF cosmetic products into your routine, such as the Sunforgettable® mineral face powders.
How Effective Is Nonsurgical Skin Tightening?
Can med spa treatments really get the job done when it comes to tightening skin? Nonsurgical skin tightening treatments are very effective for the right candidates. Many people notice firmer, smoother skin that makes them look years younger after completing their treatments.
However, these treatments work best for those with mild to moderate laxity and are not ideal for treating significant skin drooping. If you have dramatic sagging, you may be a better candidate for a facelift, tummy tuck, or other skin tightening surgery.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Nonsurgical Skin Tightening Compared to a Facelift?
While nonsurgical options offer plenty of benefits, they aren’t without their shortcomings. It’s important to consider both the pros and cons as you decide whether this is the right approach for you.
Why choose the nonsurgical route? Here are a few reasons:
- Minimally invasive: You won’t have any incisions, stitches, or scars. In most cases, you won’t need more than topical anesthesia to stay comfortable during these treatments.
- Faster recovery times: Compared to the weeks of recovery most surgical procedures involve, nonsurgical approaches have a much quicker and easier recovery.
- Ongoing improvements: Most of these treatments stimulate collagen production, and that production continues for weeks and even months after your initial session.
- Often more affordable: Nonsurgical options typically cost less than surgery.
Where do nonsurgical approaches fall short? Drawbacks include:
- Maximum results take multiple treatments: Most people need several treatments to see their best results.
- Responses vary from person to person: Your results may vary depending on your skin’s composition and the amount of laxity you’re experiencing.
How Much Does Nonsurgical Skin Tightening Cost in Calgary?
The cost of Calgary skin tightening varies depending on the treatment, the number of sessions needed, and other factors.
A one-on-one skin consultation is the best way to get an accurate and personalized price estimate. During this consultation, we will discuss your goals in-depth and design a custom treatment plan to help you achieve them as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Want to learn more about tightening your skin without surgery? Contact me online or give me a call at (403) 454-1244 (Calgary), (403) 945-0350 (Airdrie), or (403) 523-1091 (Seton).